by Shawn Econo
Infant food manufacturers and health care professionals are united in recommending breast milk as the best way to feed a baby during the first six months of life. However, because a woman cannot, or chooses not to breast feed, then the infant formula is used. There are clinical or pathological cases, which permits only the infant formula to be used and this is a very good reason why the infant food industry makes an essential contribution to infant and young child health by offering safe and nutritious alternatives to breast milk.
These problems are as follows:
• Allergy to cow or soy protein (or colic). Suggested recommended formula to be used in this case is Mutramigen Neocate. They are Casein hydrolysate and hypoallergenic formulas.
• Cardiac or renal diseases. Suggested recommended formula to be used in this case is Similac PM 60/40. They have lower amounts of Ca/Phosphorus and potassium.
• Necrotizing Enterocolitis. Suggested recommended formula or is the premature Formula or in severe cases, Pregestimil. They are partially elemental and with Ca/P pregestimil: elemental/lactose-free
• Constipation- A good start or Routine formula with increased Sugar is highly recommended. Such good start formula should be 100% whey protein, produces “soft breast milk-like stools”
• Cystic Fibrosis- Portagen or Pregestimil/ Alimentum is a good formula for this case. Such a formula is an increase MCT fat concentration.
• Diarrhea- A Routine or Isomil DF, Lacto-free, pregestimil formula. Isomil DF consists of w/water-soluble fiber and lactose-free, others: lactose free, elemental formula.
Premature Infant formulas
• Designed for premature infants with birth weight less than 1800g.
• Major nutrient composition is partially elemental for easier digestion.
• Vitamin and mineral content is approximately 3 times that of standard formulas to meet the increased needs premature infants.
• Available only in ready to feed in 20 or 24 calorie/ounce.
• Protein: 60% casein and 40% whey
• Carbohydrate:50% lactose and 50% glucose polymers
• Fat: 50% medium chain and 50% long chain triglycerides.
1. Enfamil Premature with Iron
2. Similac special Care with Iron
3. Similac Natural care (breast milk fortifier)
4. Similac Neocare
• Designed for premature infants greater than 1800g who require increased calories, protein, vitamins and minerals.
• 22 calories/ounce standard dilution.
• Available in powder commercially. Ready to feed in the hospital setting.
• Appropriate for the first year of feeding.
Allow the infant to tell the adult when feeding is over. Babies have a natural ability to obtain the right amount of food if the adult will allow them that privilege. Babies will change from day to day in the amount of formulas they want and need. Allow them to communicate that to the feeder. When a baby closes its mouth, turns her head away, fusses and refuses to have the nipple replaced, consider the feeding ended and discard any formula remaining in the bottle. Formula left over after feeding can harbor bacteria, which will grow and then be consumed by the infant if the bottle is reused.
Always hold an infant when feeding. Never prop a bottle. Infants need to be able to see the face of the person feeding them, they need to be able to communicate and enjoy the feeding and they need to be able to get the bottle out of their mouth if they are choking or gagging, none of this is possible with a propped bottle.
Never offer an infant honey or corn syrup. There have been several incidents of serious food poisoning resulting from honey and corn syrup given to infants with immature digestive systems.
I am Funom Theophilus Makama. I advertise through writing. As a platinum expert Author, I write lots of articles and hence promote interested websites, companies, groups, organizations, and communities through publishing and distributing my articles. For more information on this interesting venture, click on the link below
I am an expert Author and writer. I write, publish, re-publish and distribute very good articles around the internet. With professional techniques, such as SEO, social bookmarking, social netowrking, Google ads and more, I am able to generate traffic thereby aiding me to advertise products, companies, websites, groups, communities etc. Hence I advertise through writing and distribution of articles